+27 21 650 4810
Director of BISRU
HoD Mechanical Engineering
Prof Genevieve Langdon is the Director of the BISRU Centre. Genevieve was born in Liverpool (UK) where she grew up. She attended the University of Liverpool where she gained a BEng and PhD in the Engineering Department. She worked at the University of Liverpool Impact Research Centre from 1999 to 2004. She was then appointed as a research fellow at the Blast Impact and Survivability Research Unit, University of Cape Town (2004-2006). In 2006, she joined the academic staff at UCT. She is currently the Head of Department and a Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering.
Her research involves examining the blast resistant properties of novel materials, passive blast mitigation, confined explosions and the failure modes of lightweight structures. She has received a number of awards, including an 1851 Royal Commission Research Fellowship and young researcher awards at the Women in Science Awards. She has co-authored over sixty journal articles, is an NRF rated researcher, and is a chartered engineer. She is also a member of the editorial board for the International Journal of Impact Engineering and is the Secretary of the International Society of Impact Engineering.
GS Langdon, Z Guan, WJ Cantwell, 8.17 Blast Protection for Polymer Composite Materials in Structures Subjected to Air-Blast Loading, 332-350, Ed(s): P.W.R. Beaumont, C.H. Zweben, In: Comprehensive Composite Materials II, Elsevier, 2018.
G.S. Langdon, C.J. von Klemperer, G. Sinclair, I Ghoor, Influence of curvature and load direction on the air-blast response of singly curved glass fiber reinforced epoxy laminate and sandwich panels, Explosion Blast Response of Composites, Elsevier, pp. 133-160, 2017
G.S. Langdon, C.J. von Klemperer, G.M. Sinclair, Blast response of sandwich structures: the influence of curvature, Dynamic Deformation, Damage and Fracture in Composite Materials and Structures, Elsevier, pp. 365-390, 2016
GS Langdon, WJ Cantwell. The blast response of polymer composites and fibre-metal laminates, Polymer composites in the aerospace industry, Springer, pp. 371-391, 2014
- G.S. Langdon, C.J. von Klemperer, G.F. Volschenk, T. van Tonder, R.A. Govender, The influence of interfacial bonding on the response of lightweight aluminium and glass fibre metal laminate panels subjected to air-blast loading, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part C: Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science, Vol. 232(8), pp 1402-1417, https://doi.org/10.1177/0954406217718859 ,2018
- SA Davids, GS Langdon, G.N. Nurick. The influence of charge geometry on the response of partially confined right circular stainless steel cylinders subjected to blast loading, International Journal of Impact Engineering, Vol. 108, pp 252-262, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijimpeng.2017.02.015, 2017
- R.J. Curry, G.S. Langdon. Transient response of steel plates subjected to close proximity explosive detonations in air, International Journal of Impact Engineering, Vol. 102, pp 102-116, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijimpeng.2016.12.004, 2017
- S. Chung Kim Yuen, G. N. Nurick, G. S. Langdon, Y. Iyer. Deformation of Thin Plates Subjected to Impulsive Load: Part III – An Update 25 years on, International Journal of Impact Engineering, Vol. 107, pp 108-117, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijimpeng.2016.06.010, 2017
- D. Karagiozova G.S. Langdon, G. N. Nurick, T. Niven, The influence of a low density foam sandwich core on the response of a partially confined steel cylinder to internal air-blast, International Journal of Impact Engineering, vol 92, pp 32-49, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijimpeng.2015.09.010, 2016
- G.N. Nurick, S. Mahoi, G.S. Langdon, The response of plates subjected to loading arising from the detonation of different shapes of plastic explosive, International Journal of Impact Engineering, Vol. 89, pp 102-113, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijimpeng.2015.11.012, 2016
- G.S. Langdon, W.C. Lee, L.A. Louca, The influence of material type on the response of plates to air-blast loading, International Journal of Impact Engineering, Vol. 78, pp 150-160, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijimpeng.2014.12.008, 2015
- G.S. Langdon, W.J. Cantwell, Z.W. Guan, G.N. Nurick. The response of polymeric composite structures to air-blast loading: a state-of-the-art, International Materials Reviews, Vol. 59(3), pp 159-177, https://doi.org/10.1179/1743280413Y.0000000028, 2014
- A.S. Fallah, K. Micallef, G.S. Langdon, W.C. Lee, P.T. Curtis, L.A. Louca, Dynamic response of Dyneema® HB26 plates to localised blast loading, International Journal of Impact Engineering, Vol. 73, pp 91-100, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijimpeng.2014.06.014 , 2014
- G.S. Langdon, A. Ozinsky, S. Chung Kim Yuen. The response of partially confined right circular stainless steel cylinders to internal air-blast loading, International Journal of Impact Engineering, Vol. 73, pp1-14, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijimpeng.2014.05.002, 2014
- Z.W. Guan, A. Aktas, P. Potluri, W.J. Cantwell, G.S. Langdon, G.N. Nurick, The blast resistance of stitched sandwich panels, International Journal of Impact Engineering, Vol. 65, pp 137-145, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijimpeng.2013.12.001, 2014
- R.A. Alia, W.J. Cantwell, G.S. Langdon, S.C.K. Yuen, G.N. Nurick, The energy-absorbing characteristics of composite tube-reinforced foam structures, Composites Part B, Vol. 61, pp 127-135, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compositesb.2014.01.018, 2014