Tel: +27 21 650 4810
Email : email@example.com
Genevieve was born in Liverpool (UK) where she grew up. She attended the University of Liverpool where she graduated with a first class honours degree in Integrated Engineering in 1999. Her undergraduate project thesis examined the failure modes of thin aluminium panels subjected to pressure pulses. She showed, for the first time, that the failure modes used to classify impulsively loaded beams and plates could also applied to statically and dynamically pressure-loaded metal panels.
She worked at the University of Liverpool Impact Research Centre from 1999 to 2004 and was awarded a PhD in Mechanical Engineering in 2003. Her thesis title was "Failure of corrugated panels and supports under blast loading: experimental, analytical and numerical studies". Her doctoral research was concerned with the performance of corrugated blast walls subjected to gas explosion loading, concentrating on the influence of the connection support in limiting the overall deformation and buckling of the panels.
She was then appointed as a research fellow at the Blast Impact and Survivability Research Unit, University of Cape Town (2004-2006). In 2006, she joined the academic staff at UCT and is a Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering. She is still an active member of BISRU and also participates in CREE (Centre for Research into Engineering Education) when she has time. Her research involves examining the blast resistant properties of novel lightweight materials such as fibre-metal laminates and hybrid structures, passive blast mitigation, confined explosions and the failure modes of lightweight structures.
She has received a number of awards, including an 1851 Royal Commission Research Fellowship and the UCT College of Fellows Young Researcher Award. She has co-authored over fifty journal articles, is a chartered engineer and a member of the South African Young Academy of Sciences.
- G.S. Langdon, W.J. Cantwell, Z.W. Guan, G.N. Nurick. The response of polymeric composite structures to air-blast loading: a state-of-the-art, Int Mater Rev, 2014 (accepted for publication).
- G.S. Langdon, D. Karagiozova, C.J. von Klemperer, G.N. Nurick, A Ozinsky, E.G. Pickering. The air-blast response of sandwich panels with composite face sheets and polymer foam cores: experiments and predictions, Int J Impact Eng, 54: 64-82, 2013.
- R.A. Govender, G.S. Langdon, G.N. Nurick, T.J. Cloete, Impact delamination testing of fibre reinforced polymers using Hopkinson pressure bars, Eng Fracture Mech, 101:80-90, 2013.
- D. Karagiozova, G.S. Langdon, G.N. Nurick, The compaction of metal foam subjected to an impact by a low density deformable projectile, Int J Impact Engng 62: 196-209, 2013.
- E. Nwankwo, A. Soleiman Fallah, G.S. Langdon, L.A. Louca. Inelastic deformation and failure of partially strengthened profiled blast walls, Eng Struc, 46: 671–686, 2013.
- R.P. Merrett, G.S. Langdon, M.D. Theobald, The blast and impact loading of aluminium foam, J. Materials & Design, 44: 311-319, 2013.
- S. Chung Kim Yuen, G.S. Langdon, G.N. Nurick, E.G. Pickering, V.H. Balden, Response of V-shape plates to localised blast load: experiments and numerical simulation, Int J Impact Engng, 46: 97-109, 2012.
- G.S. Langdon, C.J. von Klemperer, B.K. Rowland, G.N. Nurick. The response of sandwich panels with composite facesheets and polymer foam cores to blast loading, Eng Struc, 36: 104-112, 2012.
- D. Karagiozova, G.S. Langdon, G.N. Nurick. Propagation of compaction waves in metal foams exhibiting strain hardening, Int J Solids Structures, 49(19–20): 2763-2777, 2012.
- M.Z. Hassan, Z.W. Guan, W.J. Cantwell, G.S. Langdon, G.N. Nurick, The influence of core density on the blast resistance of foam-based sandwich structures, Int J Impact Eng, 50: 9-16, 2012.